Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Dot




My two second grade classes on Friday are way ahead of my other second grade classes due to days off, programs etc...  I wanted a quick, but inspirational project to give them that would only take one of our 40 minute classes.

I began to peruse through a ton of  lesson ideas and came along a clipping I had saved about the book "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds.  The story is about a little girl named Vashti who doesn't believe that she is very creative.  Her teacher gets her to make "A Dot" on her paper and proceeds to have her sign it.  Her teacher frames it and hangs the dot over her desk for all to see.  Vashti in seeing it exclaims, "I can make a better dot than that!" and thus begins her journey of creating dots in many different ways, one more creative than the other. 

After reading the story to my classes (it's a quick read) the students were all given a square of paper and a set of watercolors (just like Vashti).  I told them it was up to them how they were going to create their "Dot" paintings. They could have one dot or many dots, single color dots or multi color dots.  Each child eagerly set to work on their dots and these are a few of their inspired pieces!  It became a great culminating art activity for our love of reading week!  




















No comments:

Post a Comment